Some new work

Below are images of the pieces I completed since I have become a member of Project Art for Nature.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Visiting my site in mid-June, I saw a field of one of my favorite native wildflowers, Monarda fistulosa (also known as wild bergamot or bee balm), not yet in bloom but vigorous with upward verdant growth. The topmost leaves of brilliant yellow-green seemed almost like sources of light. Three of the pieces are my response to observing this field.

I was also attracted to a hillside dense with tall, graceful grass. I have since learned this is an invasive and difficult-to-eradicate species called reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacea). Its presence can lead to a decline in native plants. Since learning this, I have noticed it everywhere – in roadside ditches, parks, etc. It grows so thick it tends to choke the wetlands.

 

Advertisements

Current Show – Project Art for Nature

Last week I dropped off two new pieces of work at the new Project Art for Nature show at the Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, WI. It is a beautiful show that includes a wide range of artistic media as well as approaches to the natural sites observed by each participating artist.

Places Between, Species Within: Project Art for Nature’s fourth cycle unfurls with a show of new works, by both new and renewing artists, at the Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson, Wisconsin. Exhibit Dates:  19 Aug – 25 Sep 2011; Opening Reception, 26 Aug, 6:30-8:30 pm. Round Table Discussion with Exhibiting Artists, 25 Sep 2011, 2:00-4:00 pm.  Check the Phipps website for gallery hours, www.ThePhipps.org. For more information about Project Art for Nature and participating artists, please visit www.projectartfornature.org.

This is one of the two pieces I have in the show, and one of four pieces I made using the new stencils described in this post.

Please join us for the opening reception, this coming Friday evening from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.!

Working outside (and inside)

Indigo dyed linen
Indigo dyed linen

July 15th — and I’ve finally set up a way to stretch my work in our little old gazebo. (Both sides of my basement are full of stretched work at the moment, so this is a helpful way to work on more pieces simultaneously.) This evening I’m soy sizing some small pieces (zig-zagged together making a long piece).

Sailboat cleats screwed into the wood secure the harite (stretchers), but that’s my brush hanging there.

the cleat, the brush (jizomebake)
cleat with jizomebake brush

Many moons ago I painted these vintage linen napkins with Earthhues natural dye extracts (logwood and madder) thickened with gum tragacanth. I was aiming for some background visual texture. The results were disappointing, so I tucked them away. Then, earlier this summer using some of my small stencils, I pasted-then-dipped them a few times in indigo. Now I like them. The under layer of dye peeks through in certain places.

water, grass, egret, indigo dyed vintage linen
water, grass, egret, indigo dyed vintage linen